Baked Potato Soup with Cream Cheese
Recipe from here
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 4 small-medium russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 6 slices of thick cut bacon, chopped into 1/2″ pieces
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, chopped
- good quality chicken stock
- pinch of cayenne pepper, to taste
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- a good knob of butter
- big handful of garlic chives, chopped, reserving some for garnish
In a heavy bottom pot or Dutch oven, cool the bacon over medium high heat until the bacon is cooked to your preference. Remove the bacon from the pot, place on a plate covered with a paper towel, and set aside for later.
Remove all but 2 Tbsp of the bacon fat from the pot and add the onions, cooking until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute while stirring until fragrant. Add the potatoes to the pot and stir around to get a bit of bacon fat on the potatoes. Add enough chicken stock to the pot to cover the potatoes, and turn up the heat to bring to a boil. Once it boils, lower the heat to keep it at a simmer. Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
YUM!!! Brandon and I both really love soup, and I love how a pot of soup will be several meals for us! :) We had family visiting last weekend when I made this - and it was a perfect sized batch for the 4 of us. It had good flavor, was hearty and delicious! Would also be great with ham in it - especially for to use up some leftover ham!