Friday, November 11, 2011

Beef Barley Lentil Soup


Originally posted March 29, 2011 (a few notes added at the end - since I've made this a number of times now)

Both Brandon and I really enjoy soup! In fact my dream some day is to own/run a Soup Shack - you know when I have my pumpkin patch/Christmas tree farm with goats and donkeys. Someday....

Anyway, I tried this soup and it was REALLY good!! A couple of differences from the original recipe - I cooked it on the stove top instead of using the crockpot. I'm a HUGE fan of my crockpot, but I was home during spring break, so I decided to just cook this on the stove instead! Also, I accidentally left out the tomatoes. I don't think I'll put them in the next time either! It was super yummy the way it was - so why change it?!? :) Neither of us are HUGE tomato fans, we like them in things, but they're not our favorite - so we were perfectly happy without them! I think I might add a little more of the lemon pepper next time too.


** I've made this several times since originally posted it, and we really love it. I've not ever put the tomatoes in, and we love it without them. I have made it in the crockpot as well as on the stove top, and either way works great! This makes a LOT of soup - and company has enjoyed it! Definitely one of our favorite soups!!


Beef Barley Lentil Soup
Recipe from Taste of Home

  • 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 cups cubed red potatoes (1/4-inch pieces)
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1 cup chopped carrot
  • 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
  • 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
  • 8 cups water
  • 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules (I used 4 cups of beef broth and the rest water1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning (I would use a little more next time!)
  • 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes (I didn't use)

Directions

  • In a nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
  • Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Layer with the potatoes, celery, carrots, lentils and barley. Combine the water, bouillon, salt and lemon-pepper; pour over vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until vegetables and barley are tender.
  • Add the tomatoes; cook 2 hours longer. Yield: 10 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment